Whate are the signs and symptoms?
The persistent inability to get an erection.
The recurrent inability to maintain an erection long enough to achieve orgasm.
The persistent inability to penetrate his / her partner.
Why is it important to consult a doctor in case of doubt?
Several factors can cause you to suffer from erectile dysfunction and it can be very complicated to identify them by yourself. A physician will review your medical records, perform a physical examination (ex. blood pressure, inspection of the genital organs, heart rate, blood sugar, blood cholesterol, etc.), carry out a neurological exam and review your intake of substances that may cause erection problems (ex. tobacco, drugs, medication, steroids, alcohol, etc.).
Adopting a healthy lifestyle, such as eating well, being physically activity frequently, avoiding or quitting smoking and reducing alcohol consumption can also help you to be healthy and keep you from developing diseases that can cause erectile problems. If your physical health is not an issue, consulting a psychologist or sex therapist might be just what you need. In any case, your doctor will guide you to the treatment that is most appropriate for your situation.
What are the causes of erectile dysfunction?
- Several factors can cause erectile problems. Psychological origin: for example, anxiety, stress or relationship problems.
- Vascular origin: for example, narrowing of blood vessels, poor lifestyle or illness. To see smoking, diabetes, high blood pressure, increased cholesterol, etc.
- Neurological origin: specifically, damage to the fine endings of the nervous system typically caused by diabetes, multiple sclerosis, stroke, herniated disc, etc.
- Hormonal origin: for example, a testosterone level too low.
- Medication: for example, the side effects of antidepressants, antipsychotics, steroids, recreational drugs, etc.
- Origin by damage to the erector nerves: direct or indirect sequelae of surgery (eg radical prostatectomy) or radiotherapy for prostate cancer.
Why is it important to consult a doctor when in doubt?
There are many factors that can cause you to have erectile dysfunction and it can be very difficult to identify for yourself. In return, a doctor may review your medical records, give you a physical examination (eg blood pressure, genital examination, heart rate, blood sugar, blood cholesterol levels, etc.), take an exam neurological and review your consumption of substances that may cause you erectile problems (eg, tobacco, drugs, drugs, steroids, alcohol, etc.).
Adopting healthy lifestyle habits such as eating well, frequent physical activity, stopping smoking, and reducing alcohol consumption can also help you to be healthy and not develop. no diseases that can cause erectile problems. If physical health is not in question, consulting a psychologist or sexologist may be what you need. In any case, your doctor will guide you to the treatment that is most appropriate for your situation.
What are the medical treatments for erectile dysfunction?
Patients with erectile dysfunction rely on their treatment to maintain their sexual function. There are several medical treatments:
- Oral treatments of PDE-5 (eg Viagra, Cialis, Levitra or Staxyn),
- Intraurethral suppositories (eg Muse)
- Intracavernous injections of vasodilators (eg Caverjet or injections with papaverine).
These treatments are generally effective, reasonably safe, and can cause mild or minor side effects. However, they do not change the cause of the mechanism of erection. These treatments are usually taken on demand, before the sexual act, and their effect is essentially limited in time.
Although the daily administration of Cialis 5 mg instead of on-demand treatment allows a more spontaneous sexual life, it does not yet change the cause of the erectile dysfunction erection process.
What are the other non-medical treatments available for erectile dysfunction?
- Shock wave for erectile dysfunction.
- Prp for erectile dysfunction.
- Penile implant.